Media Manager for WALKMAN 1.1
This document contains information on the following topics:
Thank you for purchasing Sony Creative Software Inc. Media Manager
for WALKMAN 1.1 software. This document contains information
about installing and using Media Manager for WALKMAN software on your computer.
- The software supports unprotected media files. Files purchased via Connect, Napster, iTunes, or other services are encoded with DRM (digital rights management) and cannot be transferred via Media Manager software.
- If you are having difficulty previewing Windows Media files, check that Windows Media Player 10 or higher is installed and configured on your PC.
- If you are having difficulty previewing video, close Media Manager and check the following settings:
Start the QuickTime Player and choose Edit > Preferences > Quick Time Preferences to open the QuickTime Preferences dialog. Click the File Types tab (in Windows Vista, click the Browser tab, and then click the MIME Settings button). Next, expand the MPEG - MPEG system, video, and audio files category. Select the MPEG-4 media and the Video (protected) check boxes.
Next, click the Advanced tab. In the Video section, select Safe mode (GDI only), and then close QuickTime.
- You may experience problems if your My Documents folder is mapped to a network drive and your network connection is slow. In this case, copy your media files to a local drive and Media Manager will function properly.
- Web feeds can contain many types of video. Unsupported video formats will not transfer to the device in the free version of the software. You can purchase the ability to convert video using the GO PRO tab in the software.
Video formats that can be transferred:
- File extensions: .mp4, .m4v
- Resolutions: QVGA (320x240)
—MPEG-4 (Simple Profile): maximum bit rate 2.5 Mbps
—AVC (Baseline Profile): maximum bit rate 768 kbps
- Maximum frame rate: 30 fps
- When transferring , photos are converted to JPEG format. There may be issues when sending multiple files with the same file name and different format. You can change the file names before transferring.
- Files with names greater than 60 characters (or 30 double-byte characters) cannot be displayed in the list view. You can rename the files in Windows Explorer to use them in Media Manager for WALKMAN.
- If you delete folders from the tree view, they will be deleted from Windows Explorer.
- Media Manager for WALKMAN does not support transferring folders. If you would like to copy folders, please use Windows Explorer.
- When you delete an RSS feed, all files in the folder will be deleted if the Delete all downloaded files check box is selected.
- File size and length are displayed for RSS media files only if the RSS media feed contains the information.
- File names may not match episode titles for RSS media files. If you want to find an episode on your computer, right-click it in the RSS Media Feeds pane and choose Explore Containing Folder from the shortcut menu.
- If you have trouble transferring files when multiple USB devices are connected, try disconnecting all USB devices except your device before transferring. If you want to transfer files from a removable drive to your device, copy them to your local hard drive first.
- If you want to use multiple WALKMAN devices with Media Manager for WALKMAN, please assign a unique name to each device. To change the device name, right-click the device name in the status bar between the PC and WALKMAN panes and choose Rename from the shortcut menu.
- When previewing an AAC file, you cannot seek to a location within the music file.
- Many software applications can connect to your device via MTP. We recommend that only one application access the device at a time. For example, please close Windows Media Player or Napster before starting Media Manager for WALKMAN.
- The device will play most music files with the following extensions: MP3, WMA, MP4, M4A, 3GP. If the device will not play one of these files, encode it to MP3 or AAC format using Media Manager for WALKMAN and transfer the re-encoded file to the device.
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using Sony Creative Software Inc. Media Manager for WALKMAN software:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later or Windows Vista™ (Windows Media Center 2005 or later for Recorded TV [dvr-ms] files)
- 1 GHz processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 200 MB hard-disk space for program installation
- Windows-compatible sound card
- CD-ROM drive (for Audio CD Rip mode)
- USB cable and port (for more information about the specific cable required for your device, please refer to your device's documentation)
- Microsoft Windows Media Format 11 runtime
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- QuickTime 7.2 or later
- Internet connection (for Gracenote® MusicID, software activation, and RSS feeds)
This software is optimized to run at screen resolutions of 1024x768 or higher. At lower resolutions, some settings may not be visible. You can increase the size of the Settings area by dragging the splitter between the Settings and WALKMAN panes.
The install utility creates any necessary folders and copies all files required by Media Manager for WALKMAN software to your computer.
- Download the install utility from the product support page for your device.
- Double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install the appropriate version of Media Manager for WALKMAN for your computer.
5.0 Technical Support
For a detailed list of Technical Support options, we encourage you to visit the Product Support page for your country:
6.0 Contacting Sony Creative Software Inc.
Sony Creative Software Inc.
1617 Sherman Ave.
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
© 2007. Sony Creative Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.